A major plus of the warm summer weather? Spending as much time outside as possible! Picnics are such a fun and wholesome activity to take part in, whether it’s a romantic picnic with your partner, a boozy picnic with your friends, or a fun picnic with your kids! There’s just something about rolling out your picnic blanket, and eating and drinking the afternoon away that makes us want to picnic all the time! If you love picnicking, and are on the search for picnic food ideas, we have you covered. Check out our favourite picnic recipes for every occasion, plus what to pack in your picnic basket!
7 Picnic Basket Essentials to Invest In
1. Picnic Basket
If you’re going for a picnic, you’ll need a picnic basket to hold all of your essentials! You can opt for a simple picnic basket with lots of room, or go for a more a more “advanced” basket, with a full picnic table set! Either way, a picnic basket will make your trip to the park or beach a breeze.
2. A Blanket
You definitely don’t want to have a picnic without a cozy blanket to sit on and lay all your food out. Make sure the blanket you bring is big enough for you and whoever you’re picnicking with, plus everything you bring to eat and drink!
3. Cutting Board
A cutting board is a great essential for your picnic basket, especially if you plan to bring cheese and meats! You can slice them up and lay them out on the board, charcuterie-style. A cutting board is also great if you need to slice sandwiches, fruits or veggies for your picnic. And don’t forget a folding knife to cut with!
Don’t forget your cutlery when you pack for your picnic! While some picnic foods are hand held, the last thing you want is to get all set up and realize you have no way to eat your bean salad. Stock your picnic basket with forks, spoons and knives to make sure you can eat everything you brought with you.
5. Corkscrew/Bottle Opener
If you plan to have wine, beer or bottles of soda at your picnic, make sure you pack a corkscrew/bottle opener. You don’t want to be left with no way to get your drinks open!
6. Wet Wipes and Paper Towels
Especially if you’re picnicking with kids, be prepared to clean up some spills. Bring wet wipes to keep hands clean and clean up any stickiness, and bring a paper towel roll for any big spills that may happen. A paper towel roll is better than napkins since it’s heavier and won’t fly away.
7. Garbage Bags
Bring a few garbage bags with you to make sure you don’t leave a mess post-picnic. Find a trash can in the park or bring the bag home with you. It’s something that many people don’t think about, but it will definitely be needed, so throw a few in your picnic basket and make sure to replenish when they’re gone!
10 Romantic Picnic Food Ideas
1. Avocado Summer Rolls | Love & Lemons
2. Mocha Pudding Cakes | Taste of Home
3. Perfectly Pink Pasta | Jillian Harris
4. Soft Batch Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies | Averie Cooks
5. Rosemary Focaccia Bread | Love & Lemons
6. Blueberry Brownies | Hummingbird High
7. Pulled Pork Pancake Sliders | Food Network
8. Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies | Food & Wine
9. Strawberry Rhubarb Bars | Love & Lemons
10. Whipped Ricotta Crostini with Cranberry | Zestful Kitchen
10 Picnic Food Ideas for Two
1. Turkey, Peach and Basil Sandwich | Zestful Kitchen
2. Mushroom and Goat Cheese Savoury Squares | Katie at the Kitchen Door
3. Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad | Spicy Southern Kitchen
4. Toasted Clubs with Dill Mayo | Taste of Home
5. Black Bean Crunch Wraps | Olive Magazine
6. Caprese Skewers with Peaches | Love & Lemons
7. Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls | All Recipes
8. Chicken Quinoa Bowls with Balsamic Dressing | Taste of Home
9. Green Goddess Hummus Sandwich | Cookie and Kate
10. Curried Chicken Wraps | Food Network
10 Picnic Food Ideas for Kids
1. Healthy Strawberry Oat Squares | Sally’s Baking Addiction
2. Fruity Peanut Butter Pitas | Taste of Home
3. Watermelon Salad with Feta | Love & Lemons
4. Vegan Perogies | Jillian Harris
5. Three Cheese Mortadella Pockets | Delicious
6. Berry Cantaloupe Salad | Damn Delicious
7. Easy Mango Salsa | Love & Lemons
8. Sunflower Butter, Bacon and Banana Pin Wheels | Food Network
9. Sandwiches on a Stick | Food Network
10. Healthy Cheesy Crackers | Food Network
10 Picnic Food Ideas for a Crowd
1. Easy Bean and Pasta Salad | Love & Lemons
2. Beetroot Hummus | Olive Magazine
3. Melon and Prosciutto Skewers | Simply Delicious Food
4. Cherry Tomato Cous Cous Salad | Love & Lemons
5. Pomodoro Fresco Pasta Salad | The Parsley Thief
6. 15-Minute Asian Rice Salad | Food Network
7. Best Potato Salad | Love & Lemons
8. Lemon Garlic Orzo with Roasted Vegetables | Vanilla and Bean
9. The Perfect Cheeseboard | Zestful Kitchen
10. 11. Mardi Gras Muffuletta | Striped Spatula
Ready to picnic like you’ve never picnicked before? These picnic basket essentials and picnic recipes are perfect for any occasion!