Whether you’re gluten intolerant or are cutting back on gluten for weight loss, zucchini noodles are the best guilt free way to enjoy your favourite pasta dishes. They’re quick and easy to make, plus they have the essential vitamins and nutrients your body needs for optimal health. From noodle bowls to lasagna to noodle salad, we’re gathered 25 zucchini noodle recipes you’ll love! Take a look at how to make zucchini noodles, their benefits and recipes to add to your repertoire!
What Are Zucchini Noodles?
Zucchini noodles, also known as zoodles, are the best way to enjoy pasta dishes the gluten free, guilt free way. They’re essentially raw zucchini that are made into long strips of “noodles” with a spiralizer. You can use a spiralizer to make many vegetables into noodles, but zucchini is the most popular since it’s easy to spiralize, inexpensive and neutral in flavour. If you have a gluten intolerance or are cutting out gluten for weight loss, you don’t have to give up on pasta altogether. Zucchini noodles are a much healthier way to enjoy your favourite pasta dishes!
What Are the Benefits of Zucchini Noodles?
1. Low in Calories
One of the main benefits of opting for zucchini noodles over classic pasta options is the low calories. When it comes to calories, one cup of regular wheat-based noodles is equivalent to five cups or more of zucchini noodles, so it’s pretty clear zoodles are the way to go if you’re looking to lose weight!
2. Low in Carbs
Along with being low in calories, zucchini noodles are also lower in natural sugars and starch than grains and other root vegetables. Zucchini is great for anyone following a low carb or keto diet. They’re high in electrolytes, antioxidants and fibre, which can be difficult to consume when eating low carb, so zucchini noodles are key to helping you feel your best.
3. Healthy Digestion
Zucchini contributes to healthy digestion in a number of ways. They have a high water content, which softens stools and makes them easier to pass, reducing your chance of constipation. They also contain soluble and insoluble fibre. Insoluble fibre helps food move through your system more easily, again reducing your risk of constipation. Soluble fibre feeds the good bacteria living in your gut, which in turn produces short chain fatty acids that nourish your gut cells and help reduce inflammation.
3. Gluten and Grain Free
One of the main reasons zucchini noodles have blown up in popularity is due to them being an awesome substitute for gluten and grain based pasta. Whether you have a gluten intolerance, are allergic to gluten or have cut gluten and grains for weight loss, zoodles offer a healthy, guilt free option that you can enjoy just as you did when you ate pasta.
4. High in Vitamins and Nutrients
Zucchini is high in many vitamins and essential nutrients your body needs to function at its best. Cooked zucchini provides fibre, vitamin A, manganese, vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, vitamin K, folate, copper, phosphorus, vitamin B6 and thiamine. It also contains small amounts of iron, calcium, zinc and other B vitamins. It’s quite high in vitamin A specifically, with one cup having 40% of the recommended daily intake. Vitamin A can support your vision and immune system, protect against free radical damage and reduce inflammation.
5. Fast and Simple to Make
If you’re low on time, zucchini noodles are simple and quick to make! Many people get turned off of cooking because it can take so much time, which isn’t ideal if you have a busy schedule. Since zoodles are made by spiralizing raw zucchini, they take only a few minutes to make. It’s one of the healthiest meals you can put together quickly for your family, especially if you’ve made the sauce ahead of time.
A great tip is to batch make your favourite sauces, freeze them and pull them out for busy nights. You can warm it up, put it on your zoodles and have a healthy meal in 10-15 minutes!
How to Make Zucchini Noodles [4 Tips]
1. Use a Spiralizer for Lots of Noodles
A hand held spiralizer is likely the most popular way to make zucchini noodles. It’s the best tool to use if you’re looking to make lots of noodles, say, for a family dinner. It’s a small piece of equipment that won’t take up a lot of space in your cupboard, and really is the best tool to get the job done.
2. A Mandoline for Thicker Strips
When you think zoodles, don’t limit yourself to thinking about spaghetti. Why not make a zucchini noodle lasagna? For these flatter, thicker strips, a mandoline is the way to go. You can use mandolines to slice foods into a variety of cuts, so you’ll definitely get a lot of use out of this kitchen tool on top of making zoodles!
3. When Serving Raw Zoodles
When serving zoodles raw, salt them and set them in a colander for 10 minutes. This will soften the zoodles and drain out some of the moisture. Rinse the noodles and pat them dry before topping with sauce.
4. When Serving Cooked Zoodles
If you’re planning to serve cooked zoodles, sautée them over medium to high heat for three minutes until tender. Season and mix in the sauce before serving!
25 Zucchini Noodle Recipes We Love
1. Chicken Parmesan with Zoodles | Pinch of Yum
2. Parmesan Zucchini Noodles | Inspired Taste
3. Shrimp and Zucchini Noodle Lo Mein | Eating Bird Food
4. Chicken Zoodle Soup | Damn Delicious
5. Basil Chicken Curry Zucchini Noodle Bowls | Half Baked Harvest
6. One Pot Kung Pao Chicken Zoodles | Life Made Sweeter
7. Avocado Alfredo Zoodles | Cafe Delites
8. French Onion Zoodle Bake | Climbing Grier Mountain
9. Cilantro Lime Shrimp with Zucchini Noodles | Closet Cooking
10. Asian Sesame Zucchini Noodles | Good Housekeeping
11. Coconut Curry Mussels with Zucchini Noodles | Eating Bird Food
12. Zucchini Lasagna | Life Made Sweeter
13. Thai Drunken Zucchini Noodles | How Sweet Eats
14. Teriyaki Beef Zoodles | Life Made Sweeter
15. Sun-Dried Tomato Mediterranean Zoodle Salad | Whole and Heavenly Oven
16. Creamy Garlic Roasted Red Pepper Zoodles | Pinch of Yum
17. Thai Zucchini Noodle and Quinoa Salad | Foodie Crush
18. Spinach Parmesan Zucchini Noodles | Two Peas and Their Pod
19. No Noodle Pad Thai | Cookie + Kate
20. Zucchini Vegetable Noodle Soup | Love and Lemons
21. Instant Pot Zucchini Noodle Pho | Eating Instantly
22. 5 Minute Spicy Zucchini Noodles | Foodie and Wine
23. Rainbow Zucchini Noodles and Crispy Tofu | The Simple Veganista
24. Cheesy Baked Zucchini Noodle Casserole | Simply Recipe
25. Asian Cold Zucchini Noodle Salad with Salmon | Wicked Spatula
Zucchini noodles are packed with nutrients and the best way to make healthy all-veggie pasta dishes for your family. Use these guilt free recipes on the regular!